Thursday 6 March 2014

Day 103 & 104: Artistic Stress & Artistic Comfort


Missed yesterday's blog. I'm sorry about that. I had a terrible critique, and went into a downward spiral of hating my art. After spending time with my husband, consuming a milk shake, and having two phone conversations with my mum, I felt a lot better. I also felt a lot better after I made two faux fur collars. The ones pictured above! I've been wanting to make collars like this for a while, and today I made a pattern and made one with black fur and one with white. I like the black one a bit more, but I'm going to get some white satin ribbon to match the white fur. Making these made me feel good. I am joyful for the times when I can make something and I'm genuinely satisfied with it. Making things that don't have to mean anything, that don't pressure me to be something I'm not. Artistic freedom and comfort, and good old fashioned productivity. It's good. It makes the times when "my art" is terrible or unsatisfactory a bit more worthwhile. Or something.

Today I made some beautiful contributions to my Wreck This Journal. At least, I think they're beautiful. I filled in the majority of one page while on the phone with my Mum.


I like it because it makes me think of fur or feathers.  I think it's pretty.

Also, today I started a challenge. It is called 100 Happy Days. The object is to document something that makes you happy every day. It is for you, not for other people. You can still share it with the world, but otherwise, it's a challenge to take the time to take in your surroundings, your feelings, everything, each day. Apparently 71% of people fail the challenge, with the excuse that there wasn't enough time. A friend of mine has been doing this, and it seems like a beautiful idea. I think that it will encourage me to feel happy over the next few months, regardless of how much stress. Whatever I can find throughout the day that makes me feel happy. It doesn't have to be big, it doesn't have to be small. Anything that allows a feeling of happiness. I am not going to edit any of the photos, or alter them in any way. For the next 100 days (including today) I am going to finish each post with my happy moment of the day. 

Day 1. Wreck This Journal & black lip stick. Needless destruction for the sake of self.



P.S. You can read more about the fur collars on my Grimm Fabrications blog. #SorryImnotsorry I'm really happy and excited about these collars.

No comments:

Post a Comment