Wednesday 12 March 2014

Day 109 & 110: Call of Cthulhu and Gallery Crawling

I don't have any photos, and I'm extremely tired, so I'm just going to quickly run through what I did yesterday and today, and then finish with my 100 happy day photos. I'm realizing that a lot of what I write about is just a day in the life of Emmelia, instead of purely creative endeavours. Does anyone care? Hm. I'm constantly thinking about combining all of my blogs, in which case I might feel less guilty about writing about my life alongside my creative art stuff. Any ways... Just thinking out loud. Via typing. Hurm. 

Last night we started creating characters for a table top roll playing game called 'Call of Cthulhu'. It takes place in the 1920s (at least it does for how we are playing it), and it's all H.P. Lovecraft based. I'm excited to play. My character is an heiress who is secretly a criminal. She murdered her rich husband, which allowed her to gain an extraordinary amount of wealth, but also ended up with her hearing her dead husband. Whether she is haunted or just crazy... well, it's hard to determine. But I'm excited to play this character. 

Yesterday's happy day. Day 6. Creating characters and spending time with one of my dearest friends.


Today we had class, and today we had a field trip. We went on a gallery crawl. I was tired (mostly because of staying up late making characters), and I'm tired of art, so it was kind of a drag. I adore the people in my class, especially the ones that I was carpooling with, but my tiredness made me want to be alone after a while. That's just my nature. Being in groups often makes me feel lonely, so I just want to be alone. Because of my tiredness and loneliness, I asked my husband to pick me up from the Chapters at Dalhousie station. I needed to be surrounded by books. I ended up buying two books that I'm excited to read.

Day 7. New books.


The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is a book that I just heard about today, and it excited me so. Oliver Sacks is a physician and a professor of neurology, and this book is about "case histories of patients lost in the bizarre, apparently inescapable world of neurological disorders". Little known fact about me- my favourite books are generally about the medical and true crime. I'm fascinated by criminology, psychology, psychiatry, and medicine. Among other things, naturally, but those topics get my attention. I'm going to start reading this tonight or tomorrow. Might fall asleep reading it. I find that I can't read one book at a time. I'm currently reading Everything Is Illuminated, but the language is so beautiful, and the story so complex, that I can't read too much of it at once. Still, it is simply beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

The other book is Encyclopedia Paranoiaca by Henry Beard and Christopher Cerf. I found it in the bargain section. I will transcribe the back of the book, which truly summarizes what you're about to get into (and yes, all of the words that are typed as capitals are that way on the back of the book). "The Definitive Compendium of Things You Absolutely, Positively Must Not Eat, Drink, Wear, Take, Grow, Make, Buy, Use, Do, Permit, Believe, or Let Yourself Be Exposed to, Including an Awful Lot of Toxic, Lethal, Horrible Stuff That You Thought Was Safe, Good, or Healthy; All Sorts of really Bad People Who Are Out to Get, Cheat, Steal from, or Otherwise Take Advantage of You; and a Whole Host of Existential Threats and Looming Dooms That Make Global Warming, Giant Meteors, and Planetary Pandemics Look Like a Walk in the Park (with Its High Risk of Skin Cancer, Broken Bones, Bee Stings, Allergic Seizures, Animal Attacks, Criminal Assaults, and Lightning Strikes)". Fun, right?

I keep telling myself that I need to read more fiction. Instead, I end up reading even more non-fiction. Not a bad thing... but y'know. Fiction is good for you. Then again... so is knowing every possible threat on this planet earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment