Sunday 16 March 2014

Day 114: Cupcakes!

Today was a lazy Sunday. I curled up in a blanket, drank tea, watched Bronson and The Great Gatsby, and read almost half of the Calgary Gideon Keys (in brief, the Calgary Gideon Keys is this book full of hand written notes that someone transcribed. The notes describe weird occult, paranormal, and just weird stuff all around the city. The kinds of things that you would hunt for if you wanted to discover strange secrets and a very different weird world, and maybe stumble into a place from which you may never return). It was a pleasant morning. After a while, I made myself lunch, made cupcakes, and then went for a walk. Today's walk was different, though. I took my Wreck This Journal with me, and fulfilled the instructions of tying a string to it, and taking it for a walk. While allowing it to drag on the ground.


Saddens me. What age do we live in, when a young woman can't take her book for a walk without being stared at and getting weird looks? Shocking. Despicable. I mean.... taking a book for a walk on a lead is normal... right?


I don't think that the creator of Wreck This Journal anticipated that a Canadian would drag this around during the beginning of a Canadian spring. When there's still snow. But there's also huge puddles. And dead leaves everywhere. And mud. And concrete. My book's front cover is no longer really attached, and I spent a good hour drying out the pages. It's really dirty now. And it's under a pile of heavy books in an attempt to flatten it out a bit. I'm a champ. 


Before I forget, last night I took some Mace Windu stickers (Samuel L. Jackson's character from the new Star Wars movies) and turned them into Jules Winnfield stickers. The magic of Sharpie. And boredom. It seemed like a natural progression. These stickers are in my Wreck This Journal. Glaring out at the viewer. Just like Mace Windu.

So. The cupcakes. I was inspired by caricatures of Marie Antoinette and the whole 'Let Them Eat Cake!' thing. Also, I was inspired by Rococo palettes and ideas. Thus, I made cupcakes, made them uber pretty, and then photographed them. The result.

 

I'm a little baffled at how much pastel and Rococo-ish stuff I have. Then again.... I have no idea why I'm surprised at that fact. Eh whatever. 

For the records, the cupcakes were delicious. I tried a new nib (or whatever they're called) on my icing bag (wow... I cannot think of terminology right now), and made flower petal shapes. This was my happy day #11. Making pretty cupcakes, and making something stupidly pretty. Here is the unedited photograph. It provides slightly better detail on the icing.


No comments:

Post a Comment