Friday 23 November 2012

Day 19: The adventures in my brain


After writing excessively about my life and views of my life last night on my other blog, I decided to approach today from the most chill perspective possible. Last night, I started re-reading Alice In Wonderland. This is my favourite novel. I know that a lot of people say how they "love" Alice in Wonderland and so on, but for me it is an essence of my being and an ever-changing entity. I continue to adore it, no matter how many times I read it. The interesting thing is, I'm not really the biggest fan of any theatrical/film versions. I'd much rather read the book over and over again. I currently own three versions of the book (including a rare copy of Alice's Adventures Underground, which is the preprocessor to Alice in Wonderland), and I would happily own a copy of every version on the planet. Every version is different, depending on the art, and what other short writings of Lewis Carroll were included. A different format and different illustrations often make it feel like an altogether different story. 

So, I'm reading Alice in Wonderland. I started last night, and I'm already the majority of the way through (surprising, since I've been reading different parts two or three times as I go along). As I mentioned, today was fairly relaxed in how I approached it. It was also fairly busy because of other commitments. The most creative thing I did today was spend almost an hour and a half at Caffe Rosso, drinking tea and nibbling a muffin, drawing and reading. I attempted at drawing tigers. Throughout the day, I also tried out my brand new 35 mm fisheye camera. It's beautiful! It's nice to load a camera with film, and hear the wind and click of the subtle process involved in capturing an image. 

I'm hoping that through using analogue photography and the fact that I have to be patient to see the end result will help in my desire to depend less on speed and technology. I want to escape the sense of loneliness that comes with the constant communication from things like Facebook and cellphones. I find that reading helps. So does embroidery, and the little pleasure that comes from taking a photograph, and knowing that it will be hidden away on a strip of plastic until it is developed in a faraway place and returned to me in a glossy envelope. 

Lomography, with Deborah Harry and Wolverine.

No comments:

Post a Comment