Tuesday 27 November 2012

Day 22: In which I can offer nothing

Well, today (well... yesterday. I'm writing this at 1:22 AM...) is my first failure in terms of doing something creative. I blame school. Mondays are weird days for me. I did draw and embroider, but the embroidery was for school and the drawings are Knicker Misadventures, which I am posting on Facebook and I don't want to fill up 12 Months of Alice with nothing but Knicker Misadventures (I easily could. I'm on a roll of at least one comic or drawing of KM every day). In all technically, this is my first failure.

However, I did get some things done, and I did make things like breakfast and tea (loose Earl Grey Twinings tea? Delicious). I also got some great illustration references and inspiration from the library. I am now on an Edward Gorey fix, and I'm even more interested in Ralph Steadman. Both of these men are brilliant artists. I almost now a little bit obsessed with Goya's painting The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters. I have always been interested in the painting, and today I realized that two of my favourite artists have done versions of it. Both Ralph Steadman and Yinko Shonibare have done versions of it, and they are beautiful and wonderful and dark. I feel like I should do something involving that painting, since so many things that I obsess over end up relating to it. Soon I'll find out that there are weird connections between The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters and The Raft of the Medusa.

Dear Lord. Art history is slowly consuming me.

No comments:

Post a Comment