Thursday 12 December 2013

Day 21: Hunger drives the wolf out of the woods


We were at the thrift store today (looking for ugly/tacky/kitschy Christmas sweaters), and I found this shirt that said 'Hunger drives the wolf out of the woods'. I didn't buy the shirt, but I looked up the quote when I got home, and it's an old proverb. I think it's wonderful, and fascinating. I can't find the true meaning anywhere as of yet, but I have an inkling of what it means. Looking it up led to me reading all kinds of wolf-related proverbs, from several cultures. Here are a few of my favourites (excluding the one in the image above).
Make yourself a sheep and the wolf will eat you.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack. The strength of the pack is in the wolf.

Like an Irish wolf she barks at her own shadow.

It is a hard winter when one wolf eats another.

The fox will catch you with cunning, and the wolf with courage.

You are looking for wings in a wolf.

I want to do some illustrations or something based on some of these proverbs. I just find them so fascinating. Now, onto what I actually did today.


Delicious and soft gingerbread cookies! I made soft and delicious gingerbread cookies! They are in the shapes of woodland creatures, "ginger-dead men", and voodoo dolls (those are all of the cookie cutters that I have. Creepy things and wonderful creatures). I still have to ice them, and I will probably do that tomorrow.

Again, we went thrifting. I didn't buy it, but I found this game. The exciting part is the fact that it was Vincent Price's favourite game. As you can see from this box. That would have been good enough reason to buy it, but we never have six people over at a time, and I was worried that pieces would be missing. Even so, the fact that this exists makes me happy. Did you know that Vincent Price is one of my favourite actors of all time?


And, last of all, we found a Santa hat for Wendel.


He's a happy skeleton, and is always spreading Christmas cheer. 

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps the band Wool on Wolves was inspired by the proverbs when it choose its name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very possible! It does have a 'wolf in sheep's clothing' kind of ring to it.
      p.s. I forgot to look them up before, but I am listening to them right now. Thank you again for telling me about them!

      Delete
  2. Those proverbs are so interesting. I love wolves! They are my spirit animal, like you and the fox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolves are such beautiful creatures. The folklore that goes along with them (and the animals themselves) always inspires me.

      Delete