Thursday 19 December 2013

Day 28: Christmas celebration, and an adventure into art

Second day with in-laws, and we had Christmas day. Because the whole, entire, family can never be together at the same time, especially on Christmas, they just celebrate when family is there. Which is quite nice, albeit rather unexpected. It was a good day, and my husband's family gave us such lovely things. I'm so appreciative, and excited to utilize some of the thoughtful gifts.


Opened pressies under the tree! We opened the gifts from his family, and they opened ours. I think the most wondrous gift is a pair of hand-carved foxes.


They are beautiful. The story behind them is beautiful, but I think that it is something that I will just keep to myself, and keep close to my heart. I will say that they come from my father-in-law's family, and the fact that they were given to me makes me feel so welcomed into my husband's family. I'm so grateful, and I feel so blessed. The foxes are so wonderful. A vixen and a buck, carved by veterans in the 1950s or 60s. I will treasure these items, as I treasure all family treasures that are passed to me. I almost started crying when I opened them, and was told the story. It's so overwhelming to feel so loved by my in-laws. I have trust in my husband, because he comes from such a loving, and embracing family. 



Also, fun times! My husband and I have matching TeeFury shirts! Thanks to his mum. She saw on Facebook that I liked this shirt a while ago, which is so cool because I really did like it. Harley Quinn is one of my favourite Batman characters (I really want to do Cosplays of her), and now we have Harley Quinn t-shirts. Twinsies! We rock it. 

It's been fun. My in-laws have an Elf on the Shelf (I'm not going to go into details, but it's magical and it entails an elf turning up in different places. Children mustn't touch it, and at night the elf goes to Santa, to report whether everyone has been naughty or nice). We've found it in a few interesting places.


On our bed, carrying my Buckley's day time cold medication (much appreciated); and stuck inside a drinking glass. Poor little elf. I think it's rather cute. Then again, I think that there isn't enough magic and whimsy. The world needs more of it. Sure, I'm 21. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the wonder of Christmas. 

In other news, I joined in on a Facebook chain. It's one that encourages sharing art on Facebook. Someone posts about an artist, you like it, they give you the name of an artist, and you post about that artist. And so on. I think it's a great idea. My friend gave me John Bauer. There was more than one John Bauer, so I went for the Swedish painter and illustrator. I was struck by his fantastical images, and the present theme of fairy tales, mythology, and fable. I chose this image 'Tyr and Fenrir', based on Norse mythology, painted in 1911. It's beautiful and stormy. 


I responded to the illustration by drawing Fenrir-like wolves.


Kind of.

Off to my parents' tomorrow afternoon, and I'm so excited! Back on the ranch, in the prairie. I'm going to walk the dogs like crazy. It's going to be great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment