Saturday 21 December 2013

Day 30: The Prairie


I love this dog. He loves me. We went on a nice long walk this afternoon, and frolicked in the snow. By which I mean, I dove into snow banks, and then he would come and cuddle with me. He's such a good boy. I really miss him when I'm away from home. 


He's such a lovely dog. Today we met his grandchildren and half-grandchildren, and they're so cute. I desperately wanted to take one home. I can't wait to be in a situation where my husband and I can have a puppy. Hopefully it will grow up and be like Cap. What a dog!


I've got to say. When I'm in the prairie, I love the snow. It's not like in the city, where the snow always gets brown and disgusting. A filthy slush. On the prairie, it remains a pure powder, or a luminescent drift. It's always crisp. You can walk endlessly through a field, and the only other foot prints you'll find are the prints of coyotes, rabbits, and birds. It's amazing to be the only human who walks through the snow. The prairie is my querencia.

It's wonderful. Truly wonderful. I feel myself, inspired, refreshed. 


While I was outside, I gathered plants. Dead, dry, plants. I couldn't help but notice how wonderful they looked. The shapes, so twisted and austere. I started thinking that I would like to create a character who is a botanist, and is obsessed with dead plants. 

 

At the moment, the dried plants are taped on the inside of a cardboard box. I am planning to draw things, and maybe base ideas off of the appearance of the plants. They're fascinating. I think some pen and ink will create some interesting drawings.

And last, but not least, here are the dogs. Cap and Skippy, as a blurred photograph. I love those dogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment