Thursday 11 July 2013

Day 249: Cesare


For those of you who don't watch silent films (i.e... probably everyone...), the above image is from a 1919 German film called (in English) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. It is one of my quintessential and favourite films. I have watched it many times. I never cease to adore it, and it never ceases to amaze me. Today, instead of getting ready for bed, I covered my face in makeup, entirely inspired and influenced by the film. The result...


To explain...

In the film, there is a character named Cesare, who is a somnambulist. A somnambulist being someone who walks around in their sleep. A sleepwalker. He is displayed as an oddity at the country fair. The person showing him off is none other than Dr. Caligari. The frightening somnambulist can tell the future, and often times foretells the death of an individual. The film would have been a horror film, and understandably so. It kind of has a sense of Edgar Allen Poe stories, with some Expressionist art and lots of madness mixed in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment