Wednesday 11 September 2013

Day 311: Ziegfeld Gal


I'm preparing to go to a 1920s themed birthday party on Saturday. My husband and I were given the responsibility of 'bringing it' (i.e. dressing in the most splendid and most 1920s-ish 1920s garments and coming in the most 1920s facade possible). It just so happens that dressing like a rich 1920s woman is one of my favourite things, so I undertook the challenge with great happiness. I found some glitz and glamour in the form of sparkly chandelier earrings, and in a trip to a thrift store, found a stunning burgundy satin gown ($13, fits me like a charm, doesn't have a back, makes me feel very good about myself). As I have dressed in a more flapper style of 1920s the past few times, I decided to go for more of a 1920s New York- Ziegfeld Follies- Hollywood kind of black tie formal. The gown I found is quite fitting for that respect.

Because dressing to the nines is a favourite hobby of mine, I decided to play around with some elegant hairstyles and make up. I just can't wait to be a Gatsby gal!

First of all, I was strongly influenced by photographs like these:

 

Basically, pure elegance in pearls, lace, and fur. Ziegfeld girls were such beautiful women, and they encapsulated the air of royalty, class, sophistication, and all of the alcohol and singing of the entertainment industry in the 1920s.

I also found this image, which is what got me thinking.


I just love the 1920s. The glitter, the rebelliousness, the aspirations and hopes for the future. The rich people enjoying their new wealth, and not expecting anything to go wrong. Just party, party, party.

Of course, I am thinking about The Great Gatsby as I write this.

I will be posting about my actual outfit on the day of the party (with photographs of my dress!), but here are a few photos of my 'demo' makeup and hair.

 

My hairdo was quite complex, and used well over a dozen bobby pins. It incorporated some braiding and knotting techniques. On Friday night I am going to curl my hair with bobby pins so that I can get the proper finger curls (I am all about the detail). 


My makeup was pretty basic. I was adding to my makeup from the day, only using pencil eyeliner (which is something I seldom use) and adding a great deal of brown and copper eye shadow. Then, I added a beauty spot, for the iconic finishing touch.

Dressing up is such fun. For this outfit I am all about the details and references to vintage photography. Notice the pearls being swept over the shoulder onto the back? Yeah. Marvelous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment