Monday 30 September 2013

Day 330: Transcription

Today, my English teacher and I had a brief moment of comradeship over being book worms. I always have a different book (because that's just how I work), so every class he asks what I'm reading. This happens because I'm the only person who is always reading a different book. Today, he asked me, and I responded with 'The Turn of the Screw' (because, that is what I was reading. Enjoying it, too). He had this look of shock and amazement, and all around happy surprise. 
"Really?"
"Yes..."
"...Really?"
"Yes, really. I don't know what else I would be doing with this book, other than reading it..."
"Well, yes, but what I meant was... Well, every time we have class you're always reading something different, and it's always something good! So... it's just nice to know another book worm."
I'm quite pleased that my English teacher thinks that I have good taste in books. However, I also find it sad that I'm one of the students who reads books (at least physical ones?). 

That being said, in the same English class, we learned about a poet/writer named Kenneth Goldsmith. His practice centers mainly around transcribing every day language (both spoken and written). I find it to be quite clever and fascinating. Because of this, I decided that I am going to transcribe all of my journals (my day to day sketchbooks). After all, what's the point of recording all of this stuff if you're not going to do anything with it, or pay attention to it after the fact.


I've also been working on corsets all day. Particularly, adding bead details to my 'reveal something about you' corset for silkscreen. I decided to embellish it and make it overly pretty. Which I find to be an interesting juxtaposition, as it is a beautiful framing to something that isn't beautiful. It also delights me to embellish things and add such extreme details. 


I'm actually really looking forward to finishing this work, and seeing how it looks hung up as a completed work.

No comments:

Post a Comment