Monday 20 May 2013

Day 196: Great Gatsby!


Excuse the person sitting on the bench. We caught him in a photograph by accident. Didn't really notice until later. 

Finally, my Great Gatsby inspired outfit. Plus the outfit of my fiancee (and thanks to fellow Steampunks he attained a Boater hat! I think he looks mighty dapper). I'm not sure that I'm terribly pleased about the dress, but I tried, and ultimately it turned out okay. Not perfect, but acceptable, and it was perfect to dance in. 


My dress is a combination of cheap Wal-Mart polyester/spandex blend (the devil...) and polyester satin from Fabricland. I'm glad that I had the satin. I used it to add a waist piece,  in an attempt to make it a drop-waist (or at least less of a natural waist), and I also used it to put two triangles in the skirt to open it up. I did it last night. Because that's how I roll.

The head piece is something I found at Claire's on a fluke (and it worked perfectly). Same with the earrings and the gloves. Claire's, Claire's and more Claire's. I'm most excited about the head piece. I hope that I have an opportunity to wear it again. 


Finally, my wonderful shoes. I happened to find these at MCC Thrift Store. They are vintage (I peg them between the 20s and 50s. I'm not perfectly sure...) and blue velvet. They fit me perfectly, and I was able to wear them all day without any trouble. Also perfect for dancing, apparently.

You might be wondering where the dancing part comes in. Yes, the Great Gatsby thing was for a trip to the theatre, so see The Great Gatsby for the second time (we liked it that much, and we love an excuse to dress up). Then, in the evening we went to a nightclub for an event, which featured lots of performance and loud music. Both of us had Tarot readings done, we had a lovely portrait taken (of us as 1920s vampires. For the evening we added dead makeup and fangs), and danced a bit. We danced in the fashion of pseudo-Charleston. My dress twirled marvellously and my beads flew about. All in all...We rocked it. Another lovely evening for the power duo.

No comments:

Post a Comment