Wednesday 22 May 2013

Day 199: Exhaustion and Exemplary Skills

I don't have anything to really post today. I am hastily typing this, as I draw near to curling up in bed and, hopefully quickly, falling to sleep. Having a full 9 to 5 job is something. It's very satisfying and often rewarding, but my schedule is an odd kind of routine that is easily shaken by any change (and that shaking results in less hours of sleep and not making anything creative). Still, I've been reading more, and everything has been well.

The reason I am more tired right now is because first, I was at a birthday party for my soon-to-be niece. I guess that at the moment I am an honorary aunt. She turned one, and my fiancee and I bought her an adorable little monkey, and gave her and her three year old brother the most amazing blocks. (The blocks are XYZ blocks... an alternative to ABC blocks. They have things like pictures of V for Voodoo Doll, S for Sunburn, O for Outhouse, E for Extraterrestrial.. et cetera et cetera. They're fun for the parents and the children). Now I am getting to bed a bit late, having had a long visit with my soon-to-be extended family.

In other news, I am also tired because of a long day at work. It wasn't too long. It actually sped by quite quickly. My boss gave me some interesting jobs. The most interesting are researching two houses, to write brief historical paragraphs for signs. I'm quite pleased, because... I may have revealed secrets lost to others. Archives bend to me, and we get along famously. Old books and flyers and resources will reveal to me things that others have missed. Let me clarify. One of the houses I am researching is called the Hunt House. It is the oldest building still on its original location in Calgary. Everything online that mentions this house is different. Different address (only slightly, but different enough), different date of being recognized as a historical site, et cetera. Not pleasing to a person like me. See, I don't necessarily like writing papers or siting resources, but I absolutely love finding resources and researching my toes off. I go to the absolute finest detail of everything, so that every scrap of information is evident. Through this mastery of in-depth research, I found a person who is very likely the person who built the house, and I have narrowed that time down to a mere 4 years, whereas every other source had a range of seven years. I just need a few documents from the Glenbow Archives to validate my findings. As much as I can in regards to a log cabin, without going back in time and saying 'Pardon me, sir, but could you tell me who built that house, and what year?', and them answering, at which point I nod my head in thanks, bid my farewell, and return to the present. Seriously, though, I'm so exciting. It's like finding something thrilling and knowing that you are the only person who has discovered this. I mean, if I'm not the first, why are all of the dates so arbitrary and broad... and why is so much information not present? What makes me more pleased is the fact that I'm not even a history major. I'm like an archaeologist of facts and information. Carefully brushing and picking away, until there is a precious jewel underneath, ready to change everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment