Sunday 6 January 2013

Day 63: Flea market foxes


I like flea markets. There's one in Calgary that I go to every now and then with a friend of mine, and so far I've found neat things for little money. Today I found a great vintage locket for $5.50, which I'm going to use for my solid perfume lockets. After all, why not use one of a kind vintage lockets when I'm able, and it costs less than run of the mill ones from Michaels' or other craft stores? 

At the flea market, there's this gentleman who always has a great selection of books. A lot of them are quite old, some less old, but all good, quality books. What did I find? A book called Wild Mammals of Western Canada by Arthur and Candace Savage. It's a wonderful book, full of all the animals I adore (including two types of foxes... eeee), and it sank in on my way home that it is by an Eastend author whom I have met and conversed with. For the record, Candace Savage is a great author who writes primarily about Saskatchewan and all of the wonders of Western Canada. Recently she wrote a book about the Cypress Hills and its bloody past, and I have yet to read it, but she won an huge award for it. She's definitely earned it. And little did I realize... I now own one of her books! Though an older one, it's definitely one that harkens to my intense adoration of North American and Canadian wildlife. Have you SEEN these animals? They're incredible!

I decided to just chill out and relax, and listen to indie folk music while drawing some animals, using the photographs in the book as reference. The result? A few sketches and unfinished drawings. I'm kind of lazy. However, I did use coloured pencils on one! I might try to use coloured pencils more, since I know that they can achieve lovely results. Whatever the case, you will continue to see infinite artist presentations of no other animal than... Foxes!


And tomorrow I return to school. Soon I will balancing work, school, and whatever it is I consider to be my spare time (what does that even mean?!). Time management, here I come! And don't worry. I'll continue posting fox-related things!

No comments:

Post a Comment