Saturday 26 January 2013

Day 83: Creative Process


Alright, so I'm cheating a bit with today's post. I didn't really have time to do any art because I went to an exhibit at the Glenbow Museum (first day of the exhibit!) and had to do some shopping for business-casual clothes for work (my wardrobe is a lot nicer now). Now I'm really tired and winding down to go to bed, but as I am determined to always post daily, I am still posting something!

Corb Lund is a huge influence on my music, and in general. Even more now that I learned that he has a huge passion for Albertan and Old West history, and that he fully curated the exhibit at the Glenbow. No Roads Here is a collection of items, both from the Glenbow, Corb Lund's family, and a few other sources, that inspired nine songs. All of the songs play while you walk through the space. It is a small, intimate space, with a wonderful sense of history, both universal and personal. 



While in the exhibit, I experienced an overwhelming sense of nostalgia, home, and wonder. It just felt good being in a space that spoke to me on such a personal level, as well as a creative and inspiration level. Fantastic! Being in the space prompted me to jot down some notes, and write a short paragraph. (I won't share it right now, but hey... Writing is creative!) Everything from gambling to veterinary history to nature conservation. I can't count how many times I'll go back to the exhibit in the next three months. I also intend to buy tickets to the performance that Corb Lund will be doing in March (so excited!). 

Now, seeing the exhibit was glorious enough... But Corb Lund is the artist-in-residence as the Glenbow, and for whatever reason, he was the Glenbow when my friend and I were leaving to get our coats. I saw Corb Lund! I didn't talk to him or go up to him, but it just so amazing to think "Corb Lund actually put this together. One of my creative heroes is at one of my favourite museums, curating one of the coolest exhibits I've ever seen, and singing songs. This is so real." Just that extra connection makes it all the more wonderful. And the exhibit was beyond belief as it is.

And these. These are the things that inspire me to make art and write music.


No comments:

Post a Comment