Friday 11 October 2013

Day 341: The Greatest Show On Earth!


Work in progress for school. This is the beginning of my stencil for my repeat pattern project. The assignment is to create two yardages of cloth (each measuring at least nine feet long), utilizing dying, and repeat pattern techniques. I am creating cloth that is inspired by old sideshow banners, but hearkening to my adoration of freaks, and geeks, and how I am fascinated with them as human beings. For one yardage (the one that will utilize the above stencil), I am avoiding the aspects of the individuals that made them famous. Unfortunately, this means that I won't be able to utilize my beloved Stefan Bibrowski, or any of the beautiful bearded ladies, until the next yardage. Still, I am able to capture the images of a great deal of individuals, portraying them as just people. In doing this, I am hoping to pay homage to the integrity of these celebrities, and paying respects to the sincerity, and personality, as well as paying respect to those who never wanted to be regarded as freaks. They are just faces. Faces who would be recognized by few. The only people to recognize them will be those who have poured over their histories, fascinated by their stories. Fascinated by the individual beyond their dollar value, and the "deformities" that made them stand out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment