Sunday 13 October 2013

Day 343: Adventures in Hillhurst

I forgot to take photos of my activities today. However, I got a decent amount of silkscreen prep done (I am now going to be able to get to school early on Thursday, and start working on my repeat print). After I was done, my husband, and I went down to the Hillhurst Community Market. It's a nice flea market, and it's a good opportunity to visit with a friend of ours. On the way, we got a bit lost (neither of us could remember with perfect precision as to how to get there), and we passed a church. While walking, my husband spied a tombstone, after peering through some shrubbery. Naturally, I was intrigued, so we investigated. We found a memorial garden, and we think that most of the 'tombstones' didn't mark actual graves. They were too close together, and looked quite new. However, two tombstones (one of which was technically a mausoleum-type grave) were both from the 1900s (1907 and 1909). One of the grave of a married man, and the other was that of a one or two year old child. It was an unexpected discover, but a welcome one. I do enjoy graveyards. Dead people are tranquil, and reading epitaphs are like reading ornately minimalist biographies of an individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment