Monday 28 October 2013

Day 358: Horror Movies

For a while now, I have been trying to create fairly definitive Top Ten lists (for movies, albums, books, et cetera). Let the record be shown that this does have to do with my creative endeavors. Guess what I consume the most of while working on art? All of those things. Particularly movies. I enjoy having television or movies on in the background when I'm working. Apparently the combination of visual and auditory stimuli is just enough to keep me from feeling bored. I tend to feel anxious if it's too quiet. Plus, I think it stems from the days when I used to be home alone, and movies were the best form of "company". Now, you can see what my top movies are. Please note that this list is still a work in progress... and it's not really absolute. In order to absolute, I'd have to go through all of the movies I've ever watched (and there's a lot. My husband is a movie buff, and often times I've seen more movies than him. Mostly because of the whole "I make art so I watch movies while working" thing. Kind of sad). To achieve this mock up list, I went through the list of movies in the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die (or whatever it's called), went through the movies I've seen, and wrote down my favourite ones from there. Then I drew upon the movies in our collections. And good old fashioned memory. Then I simply went through the movies that I have seen the most times, or stand out to me as being particularly influential. 

Oh, also, warning. It will end up being more than 10. There are some honourable mentions. And the main list isn't in any particular order. That's just too much to ask.

1. Devil's Rejects (2005. Directed by Rob Zombie)
Approximate number of times watched: Once (Itching to watch it again)


It may have been mentioned one or two times that I am a fan of Rob Zombie. I love his music, his aesthetic, and now that I've seen a few of his movies... Well, I like those, too. They're gruesome, cringe-inducing, fascinatingly horrific bits of cinema. This is the most modern movie on my list. It's also one of the few movies I've ever watched where, after I've finished watching it, I immediately want to watch it again. The only other time that has really happened was with The Great Gatsby (even now, I want to watch that movie at this moment). The Devil's Rejects is a sequel to Rob Zombie's 2003 film, House of 1000 Corpses. I didn't actually know this when I watched The Devil's Rejects, but it actually doesn't matter. Watching House of 1000 Corpses does provide context, but really, I like The Devil's Rejects way better. It's a great film. Really violent, really messed up... about what you'd expect from Rob Zombie. However, I found myself kind of sympathizing with the protagonists of this film; The Rejects. Well, not really sympathizing. I mean, they're horrible, evil, messed up, people. Yet, they're bizarrely lovable. How weird is that.

2. Hellraiser (1987. Directed by Clive Barker)
Approximate number of times watched: At least three


I still puzzle over what possessed me to watch this movie. For some reason, I became really fascinated with the character of Pinhead/Priest. Then, it became my favourite horror franchise. Why on earth (or why in hell... Sorry. We are talking about Hellraiser here), I have no idea. But I have a 1980s Hellraiser poster book, a signed photo from Douglas Bradley (Pinhead), and I made a Pinhead pincushion. Some people fangirl over Harry Potter. I fangirl over Hellraiser. I think what interests me in Hellraiser is what type of gorey and horrific it is. It's very arcane, occult, and all around a bit strange. To be honest, I can't really express why I enjoy it so much... but then again, how can I really explain any of the things that interest me (have I shown you my oddity collection?).

3. Village of the Damned (1960. Directed by Wolf Rilla)
Approximate number of times watched: At least three


I. Adore. This movie. I also enjoy the remake (made in 1995, directed by John Carpenter), and I've watched it at least as many times. The Village of the Damned is one of the first horror movies that I actively sought out, back in my teenage years (when my favourite movies were vintage science fiction horror movies). It has a certain nostalgic appeal to me. Along with adoring the movie, and the remake, I also enjoy the short story on which it was based (for quite a while, John Wyndham was one of my most beloved authors). I digress. This film is great. It's creepy, eerie, and who doesn't love being frightened by children with British accents? I first watched the movie by ordering it through Zip (remember Zip? The movie rental by mail system before Netflix?), after reading about it in a book about science fiction movies (a lot of my favourite movies are in the book. Talk about influential reading). By modern standards, this movie would not be considered 'horror'. Still, I recommend it, especially if you enjoy horror movies from the 1950s and 1960s. There are some gems (like Vincent Price movies. Hello.).

4. Candyman (1992. Directed by Bernard Rose)
Approximate number of times watched: Twice 


To date, there are only two horror movies that left me feeling gross, with a strong desire to shower. The Divide (which was disturbing on multiple levels), and Candyman. Candyman only had that impact the first time I watched it, and the first time I watched it, I was terrified. Not "I'm going to have nightmares tonight" terrified, but just the kind of reaction you want to have after watching a good horror movie. The movie stars Tony Todd, and that man is amazing. I've only seen him in two movies, but both are among my favourites. He's just so good. And in Candyman, he is so gruesomely perfect. Candyman is what urban legends and nightmares are made of.

5. The Shining (1980. Directed by Stanley Kubrick)
Approximate number of times watched: At least four. Probably more than that. And for good measure, I've read the book twice.


What. A. Great. Film. Need I say more? We have Jack Nicholson, playing an absolute mad man. It's so terrifyingly brilliant, in every detail. The Shining is synonymous with nightmares, and I've definitely had some that are similar, making it even more frightening. For the most part, I haven't met an adaptation of a Stephen King book that I haven't liked. Still, The Shining is probably my favourite. I've watched it so many times, and I continue to watch it almost annually. I don't know what more I can say. I just enjoy this movie to no end, and it's perfect. Stanley Kubrick was a mad man as far as film making goes, but it pays off. 

6. Carrie (1976. Directed by Brian De Palma)
Approximate number of times watched: At least three.


Another adaptation of a Stephen King book. (Not to mention my favourite book by Stephen King.) Carrie is one of my most beloved films in general. It's a great horror movie (I love my 1970s horror flicks), and I've always been able to relate to Carrie on a personal level (except for the telekinesis). I saw the 2013 remake a few days ago, and I enjoyed it just as much. I can't really choose between the two, but I just love the aesthetic of the 1976 version. I can't explain why. Whatever the case... Classic.

7. A Clockwork Orange (1971. Directed by Stanley Kubrick)
Approximate number of times watched: Three 


This is a strange film. It's so chaotic, horrific, and weird. I like Alex. He's such a joyful character, but he's also brutal. I feel like I like this movie because of the strange dystopian setting, and the juxtoposition between manic and safe. Does that make sense? I'm rather fond of this film. I have yet to read the book, but Stanley Kubrick did such a great job making a movie out of it. Even though it is supposed to be really different. I'm not sure if it's necessarily "horror" per se, but it's definitely horrific, and unsettling. Yes, unsettling. That's the right word.

8. Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920. Directed by Robert Wiene)
Approximate number of times watched: At least five times (For the record, this is my favourite movie of all time)


As mentioned above, Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is my favourite movie. It's a silent film, it's German Expressionism, it's horror, it's spooky... It's beautiful and nightmarish. It combines so many things that I love, all rolled into the psyche of a mad man, telling his story from inside an asylum. It's haunting. I can imagine people in the early 20th century leaving the cinema with nightmares.

9. Friday the 13th (1980. Directed by Sean S. Cunningham)
Approximate number of times watched: Three or more


While Hellraiser is my favourite franchise, Friday the 13th is a close second. Jason Voorhees is an amazing character. I sympathize with him. Still, the first Friday the 13th is my favourite. I do really enjoy the second movie, but the first one... Magnificent. It's a great film. Not to mention the fact that it's a really iconic film. 

10. Blair Witch Project (1999. Directed by Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez)
Approximate number of times watched: Once


Another iconic film. Particularly as far as found footage horror movies go. This movie took a while to get anywhere, but afterwards I actually had trouble getting to sleep. Both my husband and I did. It genuinely creeped us out, and made us nervous about dark spaces. We were fine, and did get to sleep after focusing on not-scary things. Still, it's a great movie. 

Honourable mentions.
The Changeling (1980. Directed by Peter Medak). This movie traumatized me as a child. For some unknown reason, my parents let me watch it with them when I was no more than seven years old. I have seen it twice. Because of this film, I have a traumatizing fear of antique wheelchairs.
Night of the Living Dead (1968. Directed by George A. Romero). Another one of my all time favourite movies. I've seen this movie at least five times, and it never stops being good. Admittedly, I sometimes like the remake (1990) a bit better, because Barbara is a bit stronger of a character (and bonus, Tony Todd is in that version). Still, the original is just a great movie. I didn't include it in the top ten because it is a zombie movie, and I feel like that's an entirely different genre on its own. 
Every Vincent Price movie ever. Need I say more?

This list is by no means definitive. To do so, I'd have to go through every movie I've ever watched... Specifically, every horror movie. And I've seen A LOT. From good ones to B-movies; gory ones to psychological horror movies. Next, I'm going to try to make a top ten for all movies list.

In other news, I made food.

Brownies. This recipe surprised me. The texture of these treats is perfect.


An impromptu casserole (penne pasta, cream of mushroom soup, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, green beans, milk).


Also, I made hot toddies.


I aimed to make lots of cozy comfort food. My husband was appreciative. He had to wait outside in the cold for buses, only to miss the bus, and later have the bus miss his stop. 

For the record, if I could stay at home, be a trophy wife, have a full time art practice, and a dog, I would be so happy. Hopefully my husband, and I will make that happen. If we did, he would always come home to tasty meals. Any who. That's all for now, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment