Saturday 8 December 2012

Day 33: Lots!

Today was a busy day. In a good way. I admit, I'm a little disheartened that I'm writing this post at 1:36 AM, but I have a lot to share, and I just finished working on a couple of necklaces. Good news is that my disheartened-ish-ness is mostly outweighed by my satisfaction in the amount that I got done today.

Let's see... Well, I mailed a couple of things, bought ingredients from Community Health Foods (or whatever that shop is called), cleaned my room (still not organized, but it's a bit tidier), made gluten-free and vegan-ish muffins, made two necklaces, needle felted another fox, AND I wrote my final review paper for my art history class. Phew!

 
I'll start with the necklaces. They're kind of bohemian style, but they are made of recycled chain and atlas bones from various animals. I can't remember which, because they weren't labelled. The smallest ones are things like mink and weasel, whereas the larger ones are fox and things of that size. Just an estimate. Funny story. So, I've been meaning to make necklaces out of these atlas bones for a while, and what prompted it was the fact that I'd figured out two options for Christmas outfits when I go home. One is this Oxford-esque inspired getup that involves a high-waisted skirt (which used to my Grandmother's, but she gave it to me, and today I tailored it to fit my waist). I paired it with this cool steampunky belt that I have. My intention in making the necklace was to maybe pair it with that. However, I was making it with brass chain, so I had to reconsider, as the hardware on the belt is silver-coloured. Thus, I made the gunmetal and black one. Now I have options, depending on if I wear my "oxford" outfit or if I wear my little black dress. 

The latest cosmic fox! In its unfinished cosmic fox. Oh, jocularity. It rhymes! This little fox is sleeping, and it needs some work, but I'm going to deal with it as I finish the box. The outside of the box is stained and awfully rich looking, and the inside is in the progress of being painted to look like a night sky and/or outer space. Yes, it looks white. That is a silver undercoat. I'm probably going to do the same to the sides and lid.

Gluten-free and dairy/egg free apple muffins! They're actually pretty good. I'm not vegetarian and I don't follow a gluten-free diet, but I am  having a tea tomorrow, so I bought ingredients so that I could offer my friend who is gluten-free and pretty much vegan something yummy to eat. She cannot eat sugar either, so I made them with honey. They taste good served with honey, and I imagine they'd be good with butter. Gluten-free flour and xanthum gum are kind of expensive, but I think it's worth it. I've definitely broadened my repertoire, and now I can cook for gluten-free diets. Also, did you know that baking soda and vinegar is an egg substitute? Yeah! It's fun to watch fizzle and it seems to make a difference as an egg substitute!

Oh, and I gave myself a temporary tattoo amidst cleaning my room. Also pictured is my beloved fox Talbot, and my Gunne Sax dress that doesn't fit me. I'm kind of tired, so I'm going to go to bed now. If you are also up at ten to two, go to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment