Monday 31 December 2012

Day 57: Party like it's 1912


You're probably thinking that the photographs look a little similar, besides how the surface looks. They are indeed the same photograph, just edited differently to look older and older. My personal favourites are the first and the last. One unchanged (other than lighting and shadow) and other drastically changed to look like the photograph may have been of a relative from a hundred years ago. 

Before I continue, I'd like to say... Happy New Year! My brother and I discussed that it's quite arbitrary to put the end of the year and beginning of the new year in January. Personally, I think having it around one of the Solstices would make more sense. Nonetheless... Happy New Year! Just a few hours and it will be 2013. Can you believe it? 

Today, I spent the last day of the year by running errands and going to a thrift store. A friend and I met up and went to Value Village. I picked up a couple of ceramic and glass dishes for melting and mixing waxes and essential oils (I'm so excited!) and I found a couple of neat things. I found a shirt and skirt combo for $10, and boy, is it a great one! It's very 1910s-1920s. Cream, with nice lace detailing, and a sailor style collar. I also found the coolest belt in the men's department. While I was planning to make something (and probably will before the day is out), I decided to deck out in fine clothing and set up a steampunk-esque/Victorian/Edwardian photo shoot, featuring the new garments. That is what I am wearing in the photographs. In addition to the top and skirt, I am wearing the corset and over skirt that I made last summer for my Autem outfit. For those not keeping score on my other blog, Autem is my 1864 Montana Territory-based steampunk character. Hers is a tragic story, but I am pleased with the clothing that I made for her. Oh, I miss Bannack.

I digress. 

Instead of actually making something, I decorated a corner of my bedroom with fabric and a couple of oddities, and created my own photo studio. The only reason it was really possible is because a while ago I had put one of those friction-grounded curtain rods. You know the ones that adjust to the size of the window and then its little rubber stoppers help to hold it in place? That's what is holding up the white eyelet fabric.

Oops, am I ruining the mystique? 

Any ways, I really enjoy doing things like this. I even donned make up to make myself paler and added red lipstick. I'd like to think that I look quite regal. Then again, apparently it is in my blood. Mind you, that is from 12th century and earlier, ranging from French Marquis to something involving Sanskrit regalia, and I'm still confused as to how it is. Still, I trust my grandfather's research, as well as genetic testing, and I like the idea of everything he tells. 

And, again, that doesn't really have anything to do with anything. 

Or... Does it?!

Nonetheless, Happy New Year. May this year of 1913... I mean... 2013... be everything that you hope. May it be full of love, wishes coming true, success, and all other aspects of positivity that helps make you all that you can be. See you next year!

2 comments: