Monday 3 June 2013

Day 210: Steampunkery and antiquing

I had the best intentions of taking a photo of my marvelous steampunk outfit and make up. Naturally, I forgot. Some friends and I went to the Military Museums for their summer skirmish. It was raining all day, and we almost got stuck in mud. The museum had free admission, and it was great to look around for a bit. Later, we went to an antique market, and I found a gem. A mortician's table! This one is specifically a wake table (photo above. Please excuse the mess and the fact that the table doesn't quite fit properly in my bedroom). The table folds up and can be carried by a handle. The table would have been taken to the home of the deceased (or their family, rather) and the deceased would be laid on the table, and everyone would pay their respects. Later the body would be prepared, a funeral would be held, and eventually be buried. I've been wanting a mortician table for ages... and this one is a beauty. I got it for a good price (it was originally $100 more than what I paid. I wouldn't have paid the price marked, but the price I paid was fair). I'm thinking that the table is from the 1930s. It's quite solid, and I think that it will make a nice work table. That probably sounds morbid and odd.. but ultimately, it is a table. It just happens to fold up and have a point where it lifts up for the head. It's also had a more interesting history than some tables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment