Thursday 13 February 2014

Day 84: Fire and other trials


Today was a day when I woke up, got going, and felt genuinely good. Just happy, well-rested, motivated... All good things. What do I do when I feel happy and motivated? I use my dog creamer and fancy tea cups to have my morning tea. I like my dog creamer. Though, this morning I realized how absurd it is... I mean, it makes it look like the dog is spitting or vomiting into your tea cup. Charming!

Any ways, after sipping tea (some lovely Canadian Breakfast- Thank you, Mum!), I started watching a documentary about Bronies (on Netflix. It was really good, and got me really excited for the Comic Expo). While I watching it, I started doing samples for a wool corset. My theory was that wool is self-extinguishing, so if I embroidered with cotton, the cotton would burn more, and possibly burn away completely, leaving the wool less burned. This didn't end up working the way I planned, but the effect was still cool. 


I didn't remember or think of the fact that wool absolutely smells when it's burned. It's the smell of a cow being branded, and the smell of all the times I've set my hair on fire (just kidding. I've only set my hair on fire twice. Both times were accidents). It's going to be fun to embroider and set fire to an entire wool corset. Ugh... the incense I will need to burn to get the smell out of my nostrils. I'll probably have to burn it outside.... Here is a photo of the corset shape, pre-embroidery and pre-burning.


It'll be fun to do. I have so many corsets to finish and get done in the span of a month. Not looking forward to it. I think that if I get two done, that'll be okay. Then I'll do two more between March and April. Because... adhering to timelines is for people who adhere to their timelines... Ha ha haaaaaa.... Merp.

Any ways, I've finally gotten one of my submissions for the CCEE artbook done. I'm thinking that I'll do at least one more, maybe two. That way I'll convince myself to do more drawing (which makes me feel really good), and I'll have a better chance of getting a submission in.... Hopefully. I'm planning to do more drawings to have at the Comic Expo. Some in the form of postcards that I'll probably just print myself. Maybe I'll see how much Staples charges for a few postcard sized things. I just want to do more drawing, and have more postcard/ephemera type things that people can buy, so that I can share my photography, drawing, illustration, so on, and people will see all of the things that I can do. Now, without further ado...

 

Click for larger images. I'm not sure that they're fully done. I'm trying to decide whether I should shade them more, or add colour. I'm going to photocopy them tomorrow, and then try some things on different things. I'm just pleased with the end result, of my pin up mermaid with her lover in the background, safely tangled in the sea weed so that he doesn't float away. The script reads "And the mermaid lived happily ever after, because even sailors drown". It's a phrase that I thought of, which I thought summarized it quite well. It's somehow inspired by 'loose lips sink ships' (which is tattooed on the mermaid's arm). The idea being that even the strongest succumb to love, and in this case, that was the end of him. A tad cryptic perhaps? Any ways, if you can think of any suggestions, please let me know. I have a couple other ides for drawings. Soon to come...

p.s. There are lots of updates on my Grimm Fabrications blog, so be sure to check those out. They're not long blogs, but they're exciting to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment