Saturday 23 March 2013

Day 139: Bow ties


Isn't this a dashing photograph? My fiancee and I joined some steampunks today to go and see the film Oz The Great and Powerful. I absolutely loved it, as it was a perfect marriage between the books, the 1939 movie, and new imaginings. It's a prequel, with several lovely references and ties, but is also separate. I think that L. Frank Baum would be pleased, as it emphasizes the fairy tale-ness of the world, and seems to tie with what he wanted to create for the United States. My man friend and I dressed up in a casual form of steampunk (he was inspired to dress like Professor Indiana Jones. Not quite steampunk, but he pulled it off really well, and if he'd had a fedora and round gold spectacles, it would be exact). Thus the photograph above. I decided that the red bow tie with the grey lapel of his double breasted coat and white shirt created a nice composition. 

After the film, five of us went to the Rose & Crown pub on 4th Street. It was great. It was built in the 1920s as a funeral home, and is rumored to be haunted. I want to return later and check out the attic, which is still decorated as it was back in the day, with the same furniture and everything. I'm quite intrigued by the idea that it is haunted, and who knows? Perhaps I will encounter some ghostly inhabitants at some point. Though I doubt it. I doubt that I would ever be there alone or at a quiet enough of a time. I don't know if I believe in ghosts, but ghost stories and encounters fascinate me.

Oh, also, I built a Kinder Surprise toy. Though, I think that Kinder Surprise is way less exciting than it was when I was younger. Two pieces to make a toy isn't exactly complicated. Maybe modern kids are dumber? Ah well. The chocolate is acceptable.


No comments:

Post a Comment