Monday 27 January 2014

Day 67: Dress making

Made salad and pudding. Now that I'm well fed, and watching The Little Mermaid, I can start talking about what I did today.

I'm a bit behind on my school work (because, ultimately, I'd much rather work on anything else other than what I'm going to be graded on). However, today I got caught up a bit, and got the majority of my Elven gown finished. Now I just have to put in the fasteners, and maybe make straps of some kind.


I made the skirt part a few days ago, and today I made the bodice. I think that the dress is coming along quite well, and it strikes me as being something that an Elf would wear. As I've mentioned in a past post, it is made of a silk-look synthetic (I got it for free...) and cotton turban cloth. I didn't really want to have to buy many materials for this project, so I used what I had on hand, and what I could get for free. The good news is that the materials I had at my disposal were pretty much spot on to what I could have wanted. It's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. 


For the bodice, I used the pattern from the book The Party Dress by Mary Adams. It's a great book. My mum gave it to me for Christmas last year, and though I've flipped through it for inspiration countless times, today was the first time that I've used the pattern. I had to adjust it a little bit, because the smallest size's waist was a little too big. It's a nice structured shape. I didn't follow the pattern exactly, but overall, I'm quite pleased with it. I'll be posting good photos in a few months, when it's nicer out. I'm going to get it really dirty, though, because I'll be traipsing around the woods in it. I mean, it's an elf costume... It has to be documented in the woods. 

I haven't finished the cloak yet, but that's because I'm having issues with it in terms of making it look how I want it to look. At least the gown is one of my favourite things that I've ever made. I'm thinking about adding a bit of beading or embroidery to make it even more beautiful, and add a little bit of ethereal sparkle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment