Thursday 30 January 2014

Day 69 & 70: Tea cups and knots

I feel like I wasted eight hours of my life. But first!

Yesterday, I kind of splurged on a tea cup. I was buying some much needed tea (Russian Earl Grey and Lady Grey) from The Naked Leaf. The Naked Leaf is one of my favourite tea shops in Calgary. It recently moved to a new location (such a nice big open shop), and discovering it was like finding the Leaky Cauldron. Or Diagonal Alley. It moved to this down-the-stairs little courtyard next to the Higher Ground. I've walked along Kensington Road many times, and I've never noticed those steps. It was so magical! Any ways, my friend found this really cute cat face tea cup, and I found one that I fell in love with. It's so nice to hold, and it's the perfect size. 


Isn't it nice? It makes me think of scales. I needed some kind cup for my studio space at school. Yes, there's a tea cup in the photo right next to it. That tea cup is my mis-matched set from the Deane House. I drank out of it once, and felt kind of off afterwards. May have been a coincidence, but because of that, I don't drink out of it. It just sits on my desk and looks pretty, all the while making me think of the Deane House and its imaginary ghosts. Now, however, I have an actual cup that I can drink tea and water out of, and it will always be in my studio. Then, after I'm done with the whole post-secondary thing, it will go wherever I need it, be it home or a workplace or another studio. I'm quite fond of it. Seriously- it's the perfect texture for my hands. Yay for being a tactile person!

Now, back to wasting my day. Or at least eight hours of it. 

I spent a lot of time putting a knotted fringe on one of my Arcane kimono shrugs. 


I really like the technique, and enjoyed doing it (even though it took forever). 


Mine wasn't perfect... 

And then it hung horribly, so I ripped it out. I'd been using cotton yarn/thread, and the way it looked just... it kind of cheapened the kimono. I felt kind of disappointed for feeling like I wasted all that time. The good news is that I learned a new skill (kind of... albeit one that needs to be practiced), while listening to Postmodern Jukebox. This one is probably my favourite, but they're all really good. 



They make popular songs even better by covering them in various vintage music styles. It's fantastic.

Now... where was I...

Oh right! So, I took the fringe off, because it just didn't work. So, how did my fringe look in the end? Like this. A giant pile of thread.


So, what did I do? I gave part of it to my mice to nest with. 


They appreciated it, and had oodles of fun ripping it down. It used to be a hammock structure along the top, but by some kind of mouse magic they chewed it down or ripped it down or whatever. Now they are sleeping happily, atop their brand new threads. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment